Saturday 5 July 2008

Small- Yet Rich- Pickings

Imagine my delight when I recently sold four small pictures at the Colin Jellicoe Gallery in the heart of Manchester.
These are meagre crumbs from the huge Art Cake... Monet, were he alive, would have a lion's share, what with the £40 million paid at Christies last month for one of his nympheas. Or probably not, as he'd still be painting and gardening, and worth a lot less.
That said, the currently-still-with-us painter Lucien Freud's 'Benefits Supervisor Sleeping' sold at Christies earlier this year for £17 million ...
However- as I heard on The Wireless -once we have enough to provide a roof over our heads, warmth and nourishment, then our contentment doesn't get proportionately greater with our spending power- holidays, houses, cars, frocks, fripperies- and do I really want the choice of the mint or the blackcurrant and fig washing up liquid?!!
Well, that's what I tell myself, and I'm happy that someone came by a gallery and bought my little 'Nude with the Red Stripe', and then came back for three views of Manchester.
Thank you, Unknown Patron! "May laughter tinkle in your tents and may all your concubines be fruitful"!!
images: Hacienda club, Pevril of the peak, Band on the Wall, nude with red stripe.

5 comments:

DOT said...

Congratulations, Caroline! I wish I could say I was the unknown patron, but I don't have the fric to be a patron, unknown or otherwise.

Caroline said...

Thank you, and I'll wait 'til you're rich and famous! Although that big egg timer's getting empty at the top..

chimène said...

Bonjour Caroline!

Ayant eu quelques jours de travail sur Rennes, je n'ai pas pu honorer ton
invitation, croquis à Dinan. Mais merci et j'espère à la prochaine session!
Voici enfin mes coordonnées mail:
barroschimene@yahoo.fr

Bon 14 juillett
See you later
nice to meet you

Chimène

chimène said...

Bonjour Caroline!

Ayant eu quelques jours de travail sur Rennes, je n'ai pas pu honorer ton
invitation, croquis à Dinan. Mais merci et j'espère à la prochaine session!
Voici enfin mes coordonnées mail :
barroschimene@yahoo.fr

Bon 14 juillett
See you later
nice to meet you

Chimène

Caroline said...

Chimene, je viens juste d'apercevoir ton message.
Le prochain cours aura lieu ce Lundi le 26 Juillet a 10h, mais j'esseyerai encore a t'emailer, sinon je regare encore pour trouver ton numero de telephone.
A bientot, j'espere.